Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna Steaks with Soy-Ginger Vinaigrette

I've never been a big tuna fan. Growing up, my parents tried to get me to eat canned tuna from time to time, but were never successful. I tasted it once, and thought it was disgusting. Since then, I've "hated" it. I'd always associated tuna with canned tuna, and had no desire to try sushi with tuna in it or seared tuna, despite everyone else telling me it was delicious.

One night at a sports bar on our honeymoon, however, I decided I was going to live life on the edge, and ordered an ahi tuna sandwich. Holy cow! That was the cheapest, absolute best meal of our entire honeymoon. For the rest of our honeymoon, I could not stop talking about that sandwich. I loved it- so much so that I practically begged Mr. Z to go back there for lunch on our last day (he gave in and we went!). Since then, I have become a little tuna-obsessed. I love sushi with tuna now. I've found several restaurants around town that serve ahi tuna, which I order all the time. And, what do you know? I even like canned tuna every once in a while! It just goes to remind me that peoples' tastes can change over the years, and just because I didn't like something 15 years ago, it doesn't mean I won't like it now. I now proudly give foods second and third chances!

I've made this tuna several times now, and cannot get enough of it. It's great plain, or served on top of a salad with the vinaigrette as the dressing.


Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna Steaks with Soy-Ginger Vinaigrette
from Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes, written as I made it

Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna Steaks
Ingredients:
4-4 oz. sushi grade ahi tuna steaks
1 tbsp. sesame oil
4 tsp. white sesame seeds
4 tsp. black sesame seeds
kosher salt and pepper, to taste

Pat tuna steaks with salt and pepper. Rub sesame oil on steaks. In a shallow bowl, mix black and white sesame seeds. Dip each steak into the sesame seeds, covering entire surface. Place in a hot pan over high heat. Sear about 2 minutes on each side.

Soy-Ginger Vinaigrette
Ingredients:
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. red wine
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. ground mustard

Mix all ingredients together. Serve as is over salad, or heat in the microwave for 30 seconds if just dipping tuna.

No comments:

Post a Comment