Friday, March 26, 2010

Baked Egg Rolls

Mr. Z and I are pretty big (okay, huge!) fans of Chinese food. If it didn't have so many darn calories, we would probably eat it several times a week. One thing I do not love, though, are egg rolls. I'll eat one every once in a while, but for the most part, I will pawn them off on Mr. Z, and he is more than happy to take them. There's just something about them that I just really don't like...maybe the grease that drips all over my chin and down my clothes every time I take a bite.

When I saw a recipe on Google Reader for baked egg rolls, I though that might solve my problem. And I was right! I loved them. Much better than the greasy fried ones we get at the Chinese restaurant down the street. Mr. Z thought they were really good too, but I think he secretly prefers the greasy, fried ones. But, these will definitely start coming up on our menu more often.


Baked Vegetable Egg Rolls
from Joyful Abode, written as I made it

Ingredients:
8 egg roll wrappers
1/2-16 oz. bag of coleslaw mix
1 can of mushrooms (I omitted)
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
splash of soy sauce
salt and pepper
olive oil cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put coleslaw mix in a microwave safe bowl. Cover and microwave for 3-6 minutes (mine was about 4). Add garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and salt and pepper; mix well. Spoon about 2 tbsp. of mix into each egg roll wrapper. Fold in two corners. Dab a little bit of water on the top corner. Starting at the bottom corner, roll tightly, tucking the mixture in as you roll. Repeat for remaining wrappers.

Place egg rolls on greased cookie sheet. Spray tops with olive oil cooking spray. Bake for about 10 minutes, turning egg rolls over half way through.

2 comments:

  1. These look great! I might have to get up the guts to try and make some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely should...they're so quick and easy, and much healthier than takeout ones!

    ReplyDelete